Truly Fleeting (Does Aerated Come to Mind?) Laundry

Aunt Mildred is doing well. Thanks to all of you who have enquired about her health after her stroke some weeks ago. Old Man and I have been trying to see her every evening we are able. Sometimes, though, Old Man is just too weary to visit very long. You know, he works very hard and very long hours. But, he insists on visiting Aunt Mildred after a long shift, and I know it has nothing to do with me reminding him that Aunt Mildred is 88 years old and has just had a stroke. He insists because that's just the way he is.

Seeing Aunt Mildred every evening possible makes it almost impossible to keep up with normal household chores. Old Man is very good at pitching in. I know I don't have to ask him every time, but I know it makes him feel better when I do.

Take the other night, for instance. He went to see Aunt Mildred after a long day at work. It is very tiring to sit in the cold air conditioning day in and day out, with nothing to do but type on a computer.

There we sat in her living room, Aunt Mildred in her wheel chair, Old Man in a kitchen chair and I on the couch. Aunt Mildred, as you can imagine, is very hard of hearing, so Old Man and I were actually holding 2 conversations - one among the 3 of us, the other between the 2 of us. The one that included Aunt Mildred was very light and airy. The one that included only Old Man and myself was a planning meeting. How were we going to get his uniform washed, dried and pressed for work the next morning when it was obvious that Aunt Mildred was in need of company for at least another hour?

I suggested that Old Man truthfully tell Aunt Mildred how tired he was and that he had to go home. When he got home, he should put his uniform in the washer and get it going. I gave very detailed instructions, I know he appreciates that and remembers every word. When I got home, I would dry and press the uniform. No problem, I thought. I was a little worried when his eyes sort of glazed over by the time I got to the part about where to turn the dials on the washing machine.

I stayed and visited with Aunt Mildred about another hour. There's something about visiting with an older person that makes you slow down and appreciate how young you are. 

When I drove into our driveway, I felt very confident that I would be able to put Old Man's uniforms into the dryer and soon everything would be ready for the next day. What I found in the house took my breath away - literally!

An old fashioned wagon wheel type of light hangs over our dining room table. You know the kind, it has spokes and the lights look like lanterns. Sweet roses smacked me in the nostrils as I entered the dining room. Old Man's uniform pieces, the shirt and pants, hung on the spokes of this wagon wheel chandelier.

As sweetly as possible I asked, "Dear, why are your pants hanging over the table where we eat our meals?"

"I didn't want to mess up your washing machine, so I Fabreezed my uniform."

See, I told you Old Man is a keeper!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions - Which Should Not Be Fleeting

Fleeting Blogs and Readers

Fleeting Whizzz-dom