Fleeting Economics

Economics. Doesn't the sound of that word just make your skin crawl? No? Well, maybe you have a better understanding of the subject than I. Macro economics, micro economics. What's the difference? One is big and the other little. Right? So one is about global economy and the other about my household budget. But, what happened to the stuff in between? For example, what about the dress shop where I worked as a teenager? It was one store, owned by a local businessman. So, was that macro or micro? It looked quite macro to me, but I suppose the banks that held my boss's loan might have thought it very micro.

Once upon a time, I tried to learn about all of this in junior college (yes, dear Reader, it was so long ago that it was called a junior college, not a community college). Way back when the world was young and all, way back when Old Man was Young Man and the children were young and innocent, I decided I needed to further my education and Economics 101 was my first foray into higher education.

I was so proud of my new note book and pens, my new used Economics book. I was going back to college! But the first night of class, I knew I was in trouble. The instructor stood behind a podium the entire night, talking macro and micro and how we would understand the difference before the end of the semester. We would understand why markets go up and down, why taxes and gasoline rise, but never come down, etc., etc., etc.

Two nights later, things went further downhill. I arrived at class without having read the first 5 chapters of the textbook. Between changing diapers and cooking supper for Young Man, when was I supposed to read? And besides, every time I tried to read, I fell sound asleep! So, I arrived at the second meeting of the class with confidence that the instructor would explain the first 5 chapters, my brand new notebook & pens and my new used Economics book.

I didn't see the instructor's face that night. He faced the blackboard all night, writing what he was saying. Since I couldn't hear him very well, I began to write everything from the board into my brand new notebook. I was so pleased that I could finally use it.

This scene repeated itself every class meeting until midsemester when we had our first exam. I took meticulous notes, writing exactly what he wrote. Soon, my brand new notebook was quite full and I had to buy another. I read over my notes every night. I wanted to understand macro and micro economics. I wanted to know what made the global economy tick. I wanted to know, but I still didn't understand.

There were only 2 tests in the class. Midterm and end of term. Very intimidating. After the first test, I knew I was sunk. I felt I had absolutely no understanding thus far of anything to do with economics. How was I going to pass this class? I had only one more chance to pull it out of the hole. That was my thinking when he handed our tests back, so you can imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw a great big 'A' on my test.

The second half of the semester went precisely as the first. The instructor kept his back to us and wrote on the blackboard. Those of us who weren't talking to one another, dutifully copied what was written.

I went into the final exam with some trepidation. I sat at my desk, no notebook, no text book. Just my pens and me. Just as in midsemester, the questions were all discussion. I bent my head to the task and wrote for the next 2 hours. He told us he would read over the tests quickly if we would like to stay. That way we would know if we passed or failed that night. So, of course, I stayed. I was the last to turn in my test, so I was the last to learn of my grade, so I was the last to leave the classroom. I watched as he picked up my test, my stomach ached. He only briefly looked over it. I felt insulted! I had written for 2 hours. But, I forgot all about that with his words, "You have earned an 'A' in this class."

I was dumbfounded. In a daze, I packed up my belongings to leave. As I was leaving the classroom, the instructor asked how it felt to have made an 'A' in his class. Still dumbfounded, I replied, "It feels great, but I don't know how I did it. I don't feel like I know any more about Economics now then the first day I walked into the classroom."

It wasn't until I was home that his shocked look registered in my mind. I've wondered all these years whether his shock or mine was the more macro.


© 2011 Carol Phares

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions - Which Should Not Be Fleeting

Fleeting Blogs and Readers

Fleeting Whizzz-dom