Fleeting Romance

I love beautiful days like today. A great rainstorm came through in the middle of the night last night and it seems to have cleaned the air of the dust and pollen that accumulates in the spring. I'm sitting on my front porch, enjoying the weather and watching the world go by. You would think I didn't have a care in the world! It's pauses like this that help to bear the burden. The beautiful spring day and the belly laughs that come from the funny things you see.

My house is situated on a very busy street. Nothing but neighborhood traffic, mind you, but it's the main thoroughfare out of the neighborhood. Being in a neighborhood, I see all kinds of conveyances, from cars and trucks (of all kinds), to scooters and bicycles.

It's the bicycle that found my funny bone today! I watched as a young girl, maybe 16, rode her bicycle from the top of the street to the other end, with an unexpected stop in my front yard. I watched as she chose to ride across the yards, rather than on the street. I suppose she thought it was safer, but, my goodness, she was struggling! Her face contorted with every downward push of her pedal, I could see the muscles bulge on her sweaty legs. A blue bandana kept her blond curls from her red face.

As I watched, I was amazed to see her contorted face straighten itself out, sort of. I followed her gaze to the far end of the street to see a tiny red sports car with a young roman driver rolling our way.  I couldn't tell if she was watching the car or the guy. As he got closer, it was evident she was taking in the whole scene. And that scenery was taking her in as well.

It was grand! It brought back so many memories of my teen years. I was beginning to reminisce when everything turned to slow motion.

Right in my front yard, right in front of me, the car slowed down for the driver to observe the girl. The slow bicycle slowed down even more to keep the girl's face from contorting more than it already was. When the car reached the bicycle, as the two teens locked eyes, the front wheel of the bicycle hit a hole that was just the right diameter and depth to hold the front wheel in place while the bicycle, with the girl on it, flipped over end. The teen literally went head over heels for the hot guy in the hot rod. Her head hit the ground, then her bike followed and crumpled on top of her. The red sports car guy gunned his engine and drove away. I suppose he thought he might have to get involved if he stopped to help this poor girl.

I ran down my steps and down the hill to help, but the girl got up, brushing off me and the grass. She left as brusquely as the guy. I gather that the only thing hurt here was her pride.

Ah, yes, memories . . .


© 2011 Carol Phares

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions - Which Should Not Be Fleeting

Fleeting Blogs and Readers

Fleeting Whizzz-dom