Fleeting Guilessness

My, my! It's been over a month since I've blogged. I can't believe it! Where has the time gone?

You might say I've been out galavantin' around. Or, you might say I've been very busy at work and was coming home too exhausted to write. Or, you might say I've been working very hard on the old homestead that I've been wearing myself out. Or, you might say that I've just been loafing around.

It sounds very contradictory, but given I haven't been here since the end of June all of those things could have and, indeed did happen. I had a very busy and exhausting summer at work. I mean, you try punching all those numbers in a computer and see how tired you become!

Hence, I had to take some time off. I went galavantin' with Older Daughter and her 2 daughters, Granddaughter 1 and Granddaughter 2. (That's not to say they are anything like Thing 1 and Thing 2.) It is especially fun and refreshing to travel with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. Granddaughter 2 entertained us with some guileless quips such as "Mama, I like that black man." This, after passing an African American family in the lobby of a hotel and exchanging pleasantries of the day.


It seems at the hotel all the older people wanted to talk to Granddaughter 2 (I certainly think she's cute). One gentleman talked to her at length one morning at breakfast. As he left, he said, "You have a good day, Precious."

At once, Granddaughter 2 turned to her mother and asked, "Momma, why did that man call me Precious?" And her beaming mother replied, "Because you ARE Precious!"

A while later an octogenarian spoke to Granddaughter 2, but only briefly before leaving for his day's activities. Before he got out of the dining area, Granddaughter 2 asked her mother, "Momma, why didn't he call me Precious?" A red-faced Momma replied, "I don't know, honey. Maybe he doesn't know you very well."

Oh, and we can't leave Granddaughter 1 out of the fun! All 5 year olds have to go to the bathroom after 10 minutes on the road and there is no gas station within miles - it's a rule.  Granddaughter 1 is all about rules. Her life is dictated by them, that's why she enjoys school so much!

We were heading home after a delightful weekend together and were at least 20 miles from a gas station when Granddaughter 1 says, "Momma, I have to use the bathroom."

Her mother was not happy. I looked to the backseat and Granddaughter 1 was doing the pee-pee butt boogie in her seat! Oh, my! I told Older Daughter that she should look for a place to pull over so that she could take her little one to the tree-line.  Older Daughter, looking very worried, asked, "Granddaughter 1, can you hold it? Or do you need me to stop on the side of the road so you can go in the trees?"

Oh, my goodness! I did not realize Granddaughter 1's eyes could get so big! They bulged as they moved back and forth following the trees flying by outside the window of the car, her brain trying to process using one of those for a toilet. At least her pee-pee butt boogie stopped for a few moments. Then it began again.

Older Daughter pulled the car over as far to the right as she possibly could, then exited the car only after looking to make certain it was safe. She rounded the car and helped Granddaughter 1 out of the back seat, leaving Granddaughter 2 and me by the side of the road. I was laughing so hard, I could hardly contain myself. Granddaughter 2 asked why I was laughing, so I told her I was just enjoying the music on the radio so much! I calmed down before the 2 arrived back at the car.

When they got in, both were very quiet. As we pulled out onto the highway, I asked Older Daughter if everything was ok. She said, "Yes, but she didn't go to the bathroom! She said she didn't have to!" I could tell she was trying very hard to be patient with her 5 year old.

I asked Granddaughter 1 what happened. "You were doing the pee-pee butt boogie, a sure sign of needing to use the bathroom."

"I stepped over that log and then the feeling went away."

That was one trip I was sorry to see end.

© 2011 Carol Phares

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions - Which Should Not Be Fleeting

Fleeting Blogs and Readers

Fleeting Whizzz-dom