Fleeting books and space

So many books . . . so little time.

This saying is printed over and under a stack of books, screen printed on a sweatshirt my friend wears from time to time. I used to think the saying was cutesy, funny. Ah, dear Reader, no more.

I have a stack of books on my nightstand and the table beside my easy chair. I thought I would get smart and check some from the library, only to have them become overdue because I wouldn't return them. Then, ebooks came along. I could carry my books with me wherever I went. I have thousands of them now.

Another friend refurbished her house recently. She exposed the studs and put little shelves between them, shelves just deep enough for the standard paperback novel. She has these shelves throughout her house, including the bathroom. I am jealous. Old Man says it's perfect insulation.

Old Man complains about my books.  He says if I bring one more book into the house, it will fall down. Well, of course, Old Man doesn't think the house will fall down! He just wants me to think about how many books there are. It is very sweet the way he looks out for me.

He says there are so many books, that I won't have time to read them all. Well, dear Reader, if you love books as much as I do, you already know my reply. I told him I had read most of the books and that many were dear, dear friends that I liked to go back and revisit every so often.

I promised Old Man I would get rid of some of the books. Elder Daughter is an avid reader, too, so I took a trunk load to her house to see if she would like any of them. She was very excited at the surprise treasure. But, then, Elder Son-in-law came out to see what was going on. He is very much like Old Man and didn't want more books. I made a deal. I told him that we would swap and that was agreeable to him.

As I drove home with another trunk load of books, plus the back seat and passenger side front seat covered and the floor full, I thought about what I would tell Old Man. I worried the whole way home.

There really was no reason for worry, though. Old Man met me in the driveway, looked in the car, shook his head and walked back indoors. I think he was very excited that I procured new reading material at no cost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year's Resolutions - Which Should Not Be Fleeting

Fleeting Blogs and Readers

Fleeting Whizzz-dom